Recap: From my last post “I Made $2,244.10 Reselling my Old Junk on Ebay, Poshmark, & Mercari”, you should know that I’ve made about $743 on Poshmark so far.
To sell on Poshmark, visit https://posh.mk/YrahoncivX and use my code SLEWE to get $10.
After I started getting pretty confident running my eBay store, I needed to find a new marketplace to sell women’s clothing. I was selling men’s clothing and electronics very successfully on eBay, but couldn’t really move my clothes and accessories with the same velocity. I was getting anxious. My coworker suggested Poshmark, so I downloaded the app and chose two pieces of clothing – a comme des garcons t shirt and a pair of one teaspoon denim shorts. I knew these would sell – very cute, popular, name brands, and I just though overall this fit the demo that would be on Poshmark. And, BAM I was right both these sold the same weekend that I had listed them on Poshmark. Now I want to show you guys the steps I took to research what to sell on Poshmark, create compelling listings, and ship your items for 5-star reviews.
How to List your Item on Poshmark
- Download the Poshmark App and sign up for a Poshmark account using my code SLEWE for $10 credit – https://posh.mk/YrahoncivX
- Pick 5 articles of clothing – choose something with a high retail price and a name brand. I’ll list some brands later that I think do very well on Poshmark
- Research – Go to the Search tab and search the the 5 articles of clothing from #2. Search them individually and then use the filters to only view Availability=SOLD. This will give you an idea of if this has been sold before and at what price.
- List – List these 5 items. Take Good photos and try to use the maximum number of photos allowed. I this general set of photos:
- Fun Cover shot: Lay out the clothes in an interesting way and have a good contrast w/ the background (if the piece of clothing is WHITE, I use a wood background and if the clothing is darker color I use a white marble background, you get the idea). When in doubt – If too hard go to the site where you bought the item and look for their stock photo.
- Take a close up photo of the tags – brand, size, material, washing instructions so there is no confusion later
- Take a photo of the item in it’s entirety from the front
- Take a photo of the item in it’s entirety from the back
- Close up of the material
- Photos of any flaws or signs of wear
- Title: Mention the 1. brand 2. Model name (I suggest searching for it in your email for receipts or googling it. This matters) or a good keyword like “destroyed gypsy denim” something like that. Then if you have leftover characters mention NEW if NEW or the size, but this last one is not necessary bc Posh does a really good job of having fields that show up right below the title when searching items
- Description: Copy and paste the title but now take each section of the title and expand on it. Here’s an example
- Name Brand – Lululemon
- Model – Wunder Under Crop
- A little blurb on why someone should buy it like “Classic Yoga Pants everyone should own at least one pair. Even if you don’t do yoga, wear them to brunch or to run errands.
- Size, but also elaborate on the fit – Womens 4. Lululemon for me runs a bit small so I usually wear a 2 or 26 waist in denim but w/ Lulu I wear a 4. Cropped and hit right below the knee. You can also measure the length and waist or reference the brands size chart
- Condition: Used, but in great condition. Only worn a few times or if worn pretty significantly say something like has normal signs of wear but still has plenty of mileage left.
- Disclose anything else you think is relevant. Has some piling on the right ankle.
- Boom youre’ done
- Price – I like to price a little high because I like to show that i’ve lowered it later 15-20%. But if this is your first shot – Price to sell. Get in the flow by making sure these sell quickly. It’ll give you the confidence to keep listing more and more. The one thing I really LOVE about POshmark is it tells you exactly what you will make but remember to be generous on your first few sales. Trust me it’s worth it!
- Click – List my Item
How to Ship your Item on Poshmark
- Go to your local Post office and grab a few USPS PRIORITY MAIL Mailing Envelopes and Boxes (DO NOT GET THE EXPRESS OR FLAT RATE BOXES SO READ CAREFULLY OR ASK SOMEONE!!!!). Hack – You can also order these FOR FREE from USPS.GOV
- For Envelopes, I like the TYVEK
- For Boxes, I like the 1097 Box
- So this is what happens when your item Sells. You will get an email confirming the sale and a PDF attachment of the PREPAID SHIPPING LABEL. All you have to do is Print the Shipping Label and tape it onto the box or envelope. Drop it off the next business day if possible. I think you have up to 3 business days but for the best experience, drop it off next day. I know this is hard for a lot of people but if you plan ahead. Have the shipping materials ahead of time, then all you have to do is drop it off at the post office. You don’t even have to wait in line. The label is paid for. Just drop it off in the slot.
- Note: at the post office or drop off location, note the time of pick up. So you know the LATEST time you can drop off for same day scan. Your item needs to be scanned to be officially checked in and “marked as shipped”. This is important. If you drop if off the next day, but AFTER the pick up time, then you’ve actually took 2 days to ship, which is not horrible but the best.
- Pro-tip you can schedule a pick up on the USPS.gov website and you don’t even have to drop it off at the post office. For me it’s within walking distance, and I like to get my steps in so I walk there everyday to drop off my sold items.
List of Brands that I’ve sold or have seen other sell successfully
- Vineyard Vines
- The North Face
- Herschel Co
Poshmark is a great place to sell Women’s Name Brand Clothing. It’s much easier than eBay and the fees are very transparent. Take good photos, and write an honest and detailed description. Use USPS Priority mail packaging material, because that is the service Poshmark uses when they give you the prepaid shipping label and more importantly it is FREE. Get them at a post office or order online. Try your hardest to ship next business day if you want 5-star reviews. Gain momentum by choosing 5 items and price to sell. Once you get in the flow, be patient and know that the more you have listed, the better chances you have to make at least 1 sale / day.
If you haven’t read it yet. Check out my last post “I Made $2,244.10 Reselling my Old Junk on Ebay, Poshmark, & Mercari”